“Our hearts are broken,” said Gov. John Hickenlooper. “It is beyond the power of words to fully express our sorrow…Coloradans have a remarkable ability to support one another in times of crisis. This is one of those times.”
How does one make sense out of yesterday’s traumatic event in a Aurora Colorado movie theatre? I think, no matter what they ever uncover about James Holmes, his rampage on innocent movie goers will never make any sense.
So now, do you find yourself giving a second thought to going to the movies? After Columbine, were kids afraid to go to school? After 9/11 how did you feel about flying?
The mental health counselors/psychologists say “rather than live in fear, you need to move on living your life.” Everyone deals with it in a different way. There is no right or wrong. As time passes, we do move on, but we don’t forget. In memory of those who lost their lives and in respect for their families and loved ones, the citizens of Colorado pull together.
My heartfelt thoughts go out to the families who lost their loved ones yesterday along with healing energy for those injured. May you find comfort in the beautiful memories you hold and gain strength from the support of your fellow family members, friends and the neighboring communities that embrace you – and wrap their arms around you – during this difficult time.
What can you do?
Here are six things you can consider:
- Turn to someone you love or call them and let them know how much you care.
- Consider a random act of kindness for someone who crosses your path today.
- Write a message to express your condolences on Colorado’s 9News’ Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ilike9news
- Give blood at Bonfils Blood Center, call (303) 366 2000 or visit http:bonfils.org
- Make a donation at http://igivefirst.org
- Call (303) 698 0999 to speak with a mental health counselor if you’re in Colorado and want help dealing with your feelings.
Will going to the movies – or any public event – ever be the same for you? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Latest posts by Debra Jason (see all)
- Facebook Tip: Do Your Friends Love You Enough to “Like” You? - May 15, 2013
- How Are You Celebrating Basic Goodness Day? - May 6, 2013
- Copywriting Tips Revealed on The Networking CEO Show - April 30, 2013